First Hand Elective Effectiveness in Quakertown Highschool

Elizabeth Glenn, Staff Writer

effectiveness of said electives can define and shape a student’s future.
One hundred students from the Quakertown Highschool Community were surveyed on their opinions on the electives offered at their school. The precision of the students being able to choose their own electives should be 100% accurate. Sadly, the school system inadvertently prohibits some students from getting their chosen electives. Only 56% of the students surveyed received all of their selected electives. The other 44% were placed into classes that were not their first, or even second choice. Is this really giving students the chances that they deserve to explore the courses they want to enroll in? Because of this issue, only 27% of students say that all their elective courses are “worth their time.” Is this the standard that Quakertown Highschool is reaching for?
Some of the electives that the high school offers include chefs, band/choir, fashion + digital design, journalism, creative writing, public speaking, art, personal growth, physical education, psychology, etc. The list is endless, and there are electives that can fit any person’s needs. But some students have suggested other electives that they would be interested in looking into. PawPrints staff posed the question, “If you could add any other elective to course selection, what would it be and why?” We received a plethora of possible electives to be added. Some responses include medical education, driving and road safety, poetry, home economics, financial preparation, life skills, psychiatry/ counseling, tax education, criminal justice, leadership/ team dynamics, etc. We also see an overwhelming amount of students that want the option to take an ASL (American Sign Language) class. The high school is in the process of creating an ASL club, but this isn’t something that is taught by a real teacher and graded, making it more important for the students. An ASL class could help students to broaden their knowledge for diverse groups in the future.
A lot of the suggestions for new electives were based on pleasure and entertainment as opposed to future-based learning, but when arriving at another part of the survey where the PawPrints staff asked, “Do you think there should be a college-prep elective to teach things like college applications, scholarships, taxes, financial aid, etc?” there showed an overwhelming 92% who said they would take that course. This could help with the level of preparedness of the students being sent out to college after high school. Speaking of which, the staff also asked the question, “How effective and helpful do you find your electives for what you want to pursue after high school?” Mixed results were shown, everything from “they are not helpful at all. My current electives do not line up with my desired career after high school,” to “All the ones I picked fit perfectly for what I want to do when I go to college.” These diverse results suggest that changes in the elective system at the high school should be considered. In order to get a concise pinpoint of the possible alterations to be made, we posed the question to the students, “How do you think Quakertown High school could improve the elective system?” The kids had many detailed suggestions, some of which include things like, “By creating more classes that focus on practical and universal skills.”
“They could be more willing to switch people to a class that they prefer rather than just giving random electives when you don’t have your first choice.”
“Giving students more options – have more than a/b day.” “It would be better if combo music students had more of a choice in electives in their freshman and sophomore years.” “By listing the periods for which specific electives are offered; while this may be difficult to do, I think that it would greatly aid students in choosing electives. If one was not able to have their first choice, this would also allow them to select another one that fits their schedule more easily.”
Although some of these things cannot be accomplished with the snap of a finger, it is beneficial for the administration to know the opinions of their students who are experiencing their system first hand.
Some people will argue that electives are just as vital and valuable as core classes. These inclusive courses have the power to engage and open new doors for students interested in pursuing a career outside of the generalized curriculum of core classes. For these particular students, they should have the advantage of being able to select their desired electives based on their future ambitions. Student choice, after all, should be about the student and not the system. A school’s priorities need to lie within the ability to provide their students with their preferred electives. Based on the conclusion of the students within Quakertown Community High School, different or more well-suited electives are needed for efficacy and success for the betterment of the present and future graduating classes.
Works Cited Beyond the Classroom: Electives in School – Miami Herald. 9 Feb. 2016, https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/community-voices/article59407953.html.