• April 27 - Senior Prom!
  • April 23 - Schools Closed/QCHS Spring Band Concert
  • April 20 - District Art Show
  • April 17-20 - PMEA All-State Conference
  • April 16 - QCHS Spring Choir Concert
  • April 11 - QCHS Job Fair
  • April 4 - MP4 Begins
  • April 1 - April Fools and Schools Closed!
The Student News Site of Quakertown High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Is the Death of Marvel Upon Us?

Is the Death of Marvel Upon Us?

May 2, 2008. That was the day Marvel released the first Iron Man movie. The day nobody would have thought that it would end up being one of the most successful franchises ever. But now, fifteen years later, is Marvel dying out?

With nineteen incredible movies showcasing the six OG superheroes, the newest shows are getting less creative and less exciting. They are increasingly becoming more boring. In the beginning, we started with Iron Man, and the latest show released was… I Am Groot. No original ideas have flown out from Marvel, they are solely making spin-offs and sequels. Thirteen years ago, everybody was squealing with excitement for the next movie. But nowadays people are becoming more bored with each new release because the plots are growing more predictable and less exciting. 

“For years, kids have been asking me what’s the greatest superpower. I always say luck. If you’re lucky, everything works. I’ve been lucky.” ~Stan Lee

The downfall seemed to start soon after the death of Marvel comics creator, Stan Lee (Born: Dec. 28, 1922-Died: Nov. 12, 2018). The famed writer brought entertainment to the table for many glorious years, and painfully we had to say goodbye. Following his death, the films produced by Marvel seemed to decrease in terms of excitement and memorable themes. 

Take Captain Marvel for example; phenomenal cinematic experience. Fast-forward three years, and Marvel released Ms. Marvel, a spin-off from the original film. When Ms. Marvel was in production, it was talked about a great deal. However after the show came out, the excitement severely dropped, and is no longer talked about nowadays. The same thing happened to Agent Carter, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk.  

“That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero.” ~Stan Lee

As Marvel slowly drops in the discussion, DC seems debated to be better than the MCU. I don’t agree, but I grew up as a huge Marvel geek. I can accept that DC does have some good superheroes, but Marvel has intense plotlines, extreme action, and unbreakable friendships. These aspects sparked my love for Marvel, but ever since their inherent downfall, that spark has been missing. 

When Steve Rogers was told he would never make it in the army because he was too small and thin, many people, including me, felt an instant connection as we too were told we were “too small” to do strong things. But when small and delicate Steve became Captain America, inspiration swarmed through thousands of children’s hearts. Also when nerdy Peter Parker became tough Spiderman, children around the world saw that they too could do great things one day. The newest shows/movies that Marvel has produced don’t have that same inspiring sense to them. Marvel always made me feel powerful, but nowadays they have lost that shining light that made them special.

“The hardest choices require the strongest wills.” ~Thanos, Avengers: Infinity War

Perhaps, Marvel can try finding a new hero(or possibly, a new villain) to write their story on. Bring action and plotlines back on the table. Create friendships to last a lifetime, and unbreakable bonds between partners. 

Remind one of what Marvel is, remember what they were in the golden days.  All they have to do is bring life back into their films. The flame that died just needs a little spark to be great again. 

“It’s not about how much we lost. It’s about how much we have left.” ~Tony Stark, Avengers: Endgame