• April 27 - Senior Prom!
  • April 23 - Schools Closed/QCHS Spring Band Concert
  • April 20 - District Art Show
  • April 17-20 - PMEA All-State Conference
  • April 16 - QCHS Spring Choir Concert
  • April 11 - QCHS Job Fair
  • April 4 - MP4 Begins
  • April 1 - April Fools and Schools Closed!
The Student News Site of Quakertown High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Country Music: Has it Gone Too Far from Home?

When people think of country music, they think of trucks, tractors, beer, and boots. Then you hear multiple people yelling “Country music sucks!” However, is country music really about the trucks and tractors that dictate the style of music?
Country music originates from the southern Appalachian Mountains with styles of folk, bluegrass blues, and rural dance music. It also was performed most particularly by black people and the banjo, which is originally from Western Africa. Unfavorably, white people have stolen the authenticity of country music and fabricated new meanings behind their lyricism. Originally, country music did not represent ideas of blue-collar “try that in a small town” ideologies but more juvenile justice and that stereotypical Johnny Cash ‘shooting the sheriff’ persona. Country music, in the last two decades, has focused more on southern ways and right-winged views rather than what Johnny Cash was doing, such as wearing black to represent that there can be no color in a world that treads on minorities.
However, where did this shift into overly patriotic country music stem from? It can be argued that this shift, which has developed within the last twenty to twenty-five years, has occurred due to the tragedy of 9/11. In a time when America was under attack, the easiest way to build up America was propaganda. Country music that demonstrates pro-American ideologies is a ‘catchy’ way for people to think, these are the roots of America, this is what we’re made of, and if you don’t like it, get out. For example, Jason Aldean’s song, “Try That in a Small Town” includes the lyrics “Full of good ol’ boys, raised up right” which insinuates that in rural life, there is nothing that would fly in the city. Which, based on politics, more urban areas tend to be more liberal based or democratic. The lyrics that this song, and songs similar to this one, represent, demonstrate aggression and topics that typically will push people away and cause a distaste for country music because it is borderline obnoxious and overly patriotic. There are other ways to build up America in a time of attack rather than a trashy excuse for a country song that solely focuses on what flies in right-winged towns in rural regions.
This turn on country music has been borderline disrespectful to the origins of country music. Considering traditional country bluegrass focuses more on being outlaws, and not following the standards. Today’s country music does a full 180, representing controversial topics like ‘backing the boys in blue.” Additionally, the American propaganda excuse for country music being produced today lacks the effort and soul that traditional country music has. The soul in traditional country music is exactly what makes it so captivating. I am an avid listener to country music, and when I listen to country music, I imagine mountains in the West and true cowboys – not small-town farmers with guns and Confederate flags.
On the more positive side, there are country artists today who are bringing the traditional country back, doing the opposite of what artists like Jason Aldean and Morgan Wallen are doing. Most notably, Colter Wall, Tyler Childers, Chirs Stapleton, and Orville Peck are four examples of artists who produce good music with purposeful lyricism. They have talent that is not necessarily new but it is great and that is what stands out. Artists like Luke Bryan and Dan + Shay are producing music, but it is music that is not anything special. Their music does not have to be new and original, it just has to be more developed. For them, it is so easy to gain a following by producing music meant to attract the same crowds. However, what is the personal gain in receiving an audience that lacks awareness of authentic country music?
The true argument here is that country music has been dragged far from its origins by unaware artists who are looking to push pro-American propaganda in pop country. However, those who enjoy traditional country can be grateful that in the underbelly of country music- there are artists on the rise bringing back what country music truly is.