• April 27 - Senior Prom!
  • April 23 - Schools Closed/QCHS Spring Band Concert
  • April 20 - District Art Show
  • April 17-20 - PMEA All-State Conference
  • April 16 - QCHS Spring Choir Concert
  • April 11 - QCHS Job Fair
  • April 4 - MP4 Begins
  • April 1 - April Fools and Schools Closed!
The Student News Site of Quakertown High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Club Spotlight

QCHS’ Philosophy and Adventure Games Club
Club+Spotlight

Philosophy Club- Bree Kuliga

While philosophy is notoriously difficult to define, students at Quakertown Community High School have shown interest in understanding the fundamental concepts within the subject; thus forming a Philosophy Club. These students are open to discussing various topics that give them access to rational and critical information such as the following: ethics, thought, existence, time, meaning, and value.

Although the members of this club hold many beliefs, they are open to discussing everyone’s perspectives on a specific subject. One member in particular was willing to share her experience in the Philosophy Club. Abby Black is the vice president of the club alongside president Arianna Shiroff. Black claims that “the club was made to bring together people who have shared interests in learning about philosophy along with giving students a place to share their different perspectives and thinking without judgment.”

The Philosophy club takes place during morning pride once a week in supervisor, Mr. Harvey’s room. In terms of inclusiveness, Black shares how “the club is open to anyone. No matter the class you take. Religious, Sexuality, Race, etc. It’s a club made for anyone who wants to learn and have free discussions about the different topics we go over.”

Students can enhance the community of Quakertown when joining this club by extracting essential arguments and ideas from large quantities of information. By improving critical thinking, the Philosophy Club strives to identify the strengths and weaknesses of various solutions that are proposed wherever a problem arises. “I enjoy hearing all the different ideas people can come up with with one topic- that everything discussed can have a different take by one person. While learning about some of the more concrete ideas that have been studied,” Black shares.

When discussing the amount of commitment needed to become a member of the Pilhopshoy Club, Black proposed that any student interested should “…join the remind and come to the meeting.” She hopes for newcomers to “..add to the conversation,” as philosophy contributes to the development of communicative and expressive powers. This helps eliminate vagueness and ambiguities within a conversation.

As QCHS expands the opportunities for students to succeed, the Philosophy Club contributes to the improvement of education; emphasizing select and relative data for assessing ideas in proposals that are experienced in everyday life. One can learn to frame their ideas into hypotheses and research to put problems into a more manageable form.

Sharpening insight into truth, the Philosophy Club helps focus on argument and clarity while understanding the importance of listening to others’ thoughts. The club is an invitation for students to navigate a world that consists of information, responsibilities, and various challenges.

Adventure Games Club- Derek Kuntz

After school, Quakertown High School students join hands and contribute to fantastical campaigns or other exhilarating activities. Students gather in the Commons every Thursday under the supervision of Mrs. Moreno for the Dungeons and Dragons club. Despite how quiet the club is to the school, everyone has formed a friendly community. At the club, students choose what they wish to participate in. The club is inclusive, and they can come whenever they want. Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) is a popular choice among students. D&D is a fantasy roleplaying adventure game that started in 1974 for individuals to enjoy an alternate reality, like those in literature.

Mrs. Moreno wishes to guide students who view themselves as outcasts to find a group where they can enjoy themselves. Dungeons and Dragons Club is the perfect place. She has been a Dungeon and Dragons player since high school. Mrs. Moreno has felt what it means to go through the trouble of finding a group and wishes to carry on her message, “It is a place where you can be who you truly want to be.”
I asked students who attended the club if they would like to give feedback about their feelings towards the club. An individual gave a very significant response, “It was difficult at first, but I learned it myself. I now learn from others if I need help.” The club is friendly and welcomes everyone with open arms.