• April 27 - Senior Prom!
  • April 23 - Schools Closed/QCHS Spring Band Concert
  • April 20 - District Art Show
  • April 17-20 - PMEA All-State Conference
  • April 16 - QCHS Spring Choir Concert
  • April 11 - QCHS Job Fair
  • April 4 - MP4 Begins
  • April 1 - April Fools and Schools Closed!
The Student News Site of Quakertown High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Town of Frye Island

The Town of Frye Island

I was on google earth earlier, and I saw a very peculiar button. It was the “I’m Feeling Lucky” button. As I was feeling curious, I decided to go on this endeavor. What It gave me was a random town in the USA. 

The town is Frye Island. It is a town in Maine. Located on an island in the middle of Sebago Lake, this island is not tiny. With a square mileage of around 1.6, it is bigger than some towns around here, most notably Richlandtown. This island has no permanent residents, as it is only open during the end of spring through fall. On its off time, no one lives there, as it is impossible to travel there. The water also gets shut off. 

The story behind the name Frye Island is also interesting. Back during the 1750’s, Captain Joseph Frye was surrounded by Native Americans. They were cornered and had no way to escape. They did survive though. They had to jump into the water off an around 40 feet tall rock. They all swam to Frye Island, successfully saving many people. This is the origin of the name. That rock also became known as Frye’s Leap, and it stayed open until 2012. Many people died from the jump, so the local police put a stop to anyone going on the cliff. 

Access to this island is fairly limited. Throughout the season, meaning the time the island is open, there is a ferry that runs between the mainland and Frye. It is able to carry cars and people. It is around a 15 minute round trip, and it runs from the morning to the evening. The other main way of getting to the island is by using the dock. They have two massive docks, available for parking by both Jet Ski, and Boat. 

But what is their to do at this island? Connected to the dock is a shop. Called Fyres Leap Cafe, this is both a shop, an ice cream stand, and a restaurant. Featuring a gift shop/general store on the inside, and food on the outside, this is the main attraction of the island. Some other fun attractions is sports. Notably, this island has a 9 hole golf course. You don’t have to make reservations for a tee time, you can just walk on and play! Some other activities include a baseball field, pickleball courts, public beaches, tennis courts, a recreation center, geocaching, and more! 

This place is beautiful. It is a very peaceful and relaxing place to travel. It has a great vibe overall. Being covered with trees, this place is awesome. Its vibe is unmatched compared to other places. Frye’s Leap Cafe is also a very special place. Overall, this town Island is a great place to visit.