Representative Staats Visits Quakertown Community High School

Jordan Hollister, Editor

Over the years, Quakertown Community High School has given students opportunities to hear from members a part of the political science/government aspects of the United States. These students have gained this opportunity due to the Quakertown Community Education Foundation. A board member for this foundation, Dr. Zackon, shares the true meaning behind the QCEF and its message. He states, “ QCEF prepares our students with knowledge, habits, [and] the skills they need to graduate to be ready for college or a career; for engaged citizenship all at the best value to our community.”
One opportunity that has continued for many years, developed by former Quakertown students, after a well-loved political science teacher, Mrs. Neamend, his, her, their, etc. away.. She had been teaching at Quakertown for 42 years and left an impact on many students. This impact sparked the idea to honor her life by having a speaker involved in politics come and speak to the students in 12th grade. This year, Craig T. Staats, Pennsylvania House Representative for the 145th House District Bucks County, came to visit the school.
In addition, a teacher at Quakertown HS, Mr. Boquist, the AP Government and Economics teacher, stated personal points of what the Representative made that he enjoyed, such as the idea that there is a multitude of ways to go about an issue and not just one way – everyone is responsible to get involved. Mr. Boquist enjoyed having the Representative visit; he feels that students could benefit greatly from this. He wants his students to take away this experience knowing the importance of having a voice outside of High School and understanding the political matters within life – not taking for granted the opportunities we have such as voting. These opportunities for students our age, do not come often. Allowing the chance for a Representative to come to visit our school and speak to the students can open us up to the world of government and something we will get involved in as we age and have the opportunity to vote and have a voice. Students should take this opportunity and use it to the max. It can allow a student to hear what the “real world” is like from a political figure outside of a structured school environment.