• April 27 - Senior Prom!
  • April 23 - Schools Closed/QCHS Spring Band Concert
  • April 20 - District Art Show
  • April 17-20 - PMEA All-State Conference
  • April 16 - QCHS Spring Choir Concert
  • April 11 - QCHS Job Fair
  • April 4 - MP4 Begins
  • April 1 - April Fools and Schools Closed!
The Student News Site of Quakertown High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup

2023 FIFA Womens World Cup

The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023, came to an end in the soccer-loving country of Australia, where Spain came out victorious over England in the World Cup final on August 20th.

With 80,000 fans present at Stadium Australia in Sydney, Spain beat England 1-0 leaving many fans beaming with joy and excitement, but many others shocked and devastated. This tournament was filled with countless unforgettable moments and shocking results. With 32 teams fighting for victory, this World Cup was an exciting one!

The start of the FIFA Women’s World Cup took place on July 20th, 2023, with games of New Zealand vs. Norway and Australia vs. Ireland. Right from the start it was clear that this World Cup was going to be a memorable one. 

This FIFA Women’s World Cup was filled with record-high attendance, about 2 million people attended all 64 matches as a whole. These World Cup games took place in the beautiful stadiums of co-hosts Australia and New Zealand. 

One of the biggest upsets of this Women’s World Cup was during the matches of Group H on August 3rd. Germany had just lost to South Korea when Morocco came up with a surprise win against Colombia. This means that the African country of Morocco finished ahead of Germany, whom they had previously lost 6-0 in Group H.

As the games passed and the month of soccer flew by, more and more teams were eliminated and more advanced to the farther rounds of the tournament. When the USWNT was eliminated by penalty kicks in Round 16 after being ranked first in this tournament, Sweden moved on to the quarter-finals with other teams such as Spain, Japan, Netherlands, England, Australia, Colombia, and France. 

The quarter-finals took place on two different days, August 11th and 12th. As a result of the matches, Spain, Japan, Australia, and England would move on to play each other in the semifinals on August 15th and 16th. 

At the first semifinal match on August 15th, 2023, Spain and Sweden went head to head at Eden Park, Auckland. After an exciting and close match, Spain would come out on top after a 2-1 win. The second day of the semifinals on August 16th resulted in a 3-1 win from England over Australia. Now Sweden and Australia will advance and play for third place, and Spain and England will go for gold at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup final.

The date is August 20th, the FIFA Women’s World Cup final. Sweden had beaten Australia 2-0 for the third the previous day. Right at kickoff it was clear that no team would have an easy win by the end. When the game reaches the 29th minute, Olga Carmona, Spain’s left defender, scores putting Spain in the lead. The game reached half-time and England was still down 1-0. Finally, after a long and tough game where both teams gave it their all, Spain won after a failed England corner kick that was caught by Spain’s goalkeeper, Cata Coll. Spain was crowned the winner of the FIFA Women’s World Cup in Australia. “I’ve always said that if all the suffering was necessary to become world champions, it would be worth it,” said Coach Jorge Vilda after his team had just won the final game of the tournament.

This month of the FIFA Women’s World Cup was filled with many intense and memorable moments. It showcased all the talented women who work hard on and off the soccer field. And now as we await for the FIFA Women’s World Cup return in 2027, we remember all the unforgettable, exciting, and amazing moments of this year’s World Cup.