Saying Goodbye To Your Sports Career

Lea, Staff Writer

Sports are one of the most amazing parts of high school seniors will tell underclassmen; leaving the sports family is not.

Growing up, in general, is hard, but when you have a team/family supporting you during these four years, it makes it just that much easier to grow. Matt Tuley has been playing baseball since he was 6 years old, and he began freshman year playing for the high school. Tuley learned a lot while playing on his team especially, “Time management ” Tuley continues, “kind of hard at first but it’s something you get used to.” 

Tuley has committed to Ursinus College and credits his playing days in shaping his future, “I am going to continue to play in college, and I just had a really great experience.”

One major benefit of doing a sport in high school is the family bond. This helps many kids in high school, for it helps them learn lessons.  Appreciation comes with the game Savannah Wood expresses, “I wish I appreciated it more junior and sophomore year. “I knew I had more years left and now I don’t want to leave.” 

Wood offered what many athletes feel, “(It’s) so sad, because I know I will not play volleyball again unless its intramurals but it’s sad to leave all my teammates.” The importance of being part of the school’s culture drives Wood, “I’ve been playing with them for years and just leave the sport and school sport because being apart of a school sport is very fun and not everyone gets to experience so I am glad I got to experience it.” 

Tim Garlick expressed how leaving his friends is going to be the hardest part, “Through the years we have all gotten really close since we are all really close right now it will be hard.”

While injuries is part of the game for Courtney North, she never left her soccer team’s side even though she experienced concussions causing her to sit out several games, “Last year I got my fourth and final concussion,” North carries on saying, “I still support the team by filming their games.”

Coaches also must say goodbye, and Varsity Baseball Coach Jonathan Pallone has to say goodbye to many of his amazing baseball players. Pallone says, “Each year it is tough to watch the seniors move on. Throughout their four years in high school as a coach, you develop relationships with each person. Being able to watch the players grow not only as athletes, but as students, and more importantly, as people is such a blessing. It becomes fun to catch up with the guys as they achieve through college and after.”

Pallone offers a quote that inspires him as a coach, “John Wooden, legendary UCLA basketball coach, once said real success for a coach isn’t winning National Championships, it’s when the players come back later in life and seeing their successes in the paths they’ve chosen.”