National Honor Society Winter Dance

National Honor Society Winter Dance

Jordan Hollister, Editor

The annual National Honor Society winter dance had arrived! The dance was hosted on February 4th, 2023. The organizers of the dance, the NHS, are an intelligent group of students who maintain a GPA above 3.5 and are a group of well-rounded individuals who volunteer or participate in activities in and out of school. Faculty members in charge of this organization at Quakertown include Mrs. Frisch, Mr.Stoverink, and Mrs. Leiby who have put endless hours of work and planning into this dance – plus the involvement of the students. Students in the society sign up to participate in ticket sales, delivering food, decorating, or cleanup post-dance. Displaying the organization wants to have students involved in their school, aside from academics.  

At the dance, the National Honor Society used the lower gym to house the dancing, while upstairs in the commons was the location of the food brought in by the organization’s members. Unlike past years, the organization wanted to make this dance more Homecoming themed. They achieved that goal when the school was decorated with decorations and the music ricocheted in the gym. Filling you with the energy to hit the dance floor and bust out a move or two. A downside of the dance, however, is that many students not involved in the National Honor Society do not attend. This is due to the organization making it an activity night in past years – rather than a dance. This lack of student engagement automatically makes the dance have a bad reputation. Many other schools in our district host a winter dance that even some of our student body attends. If students push out of their comfort zone and attend this dance it could easily flip this bad reputation into a fun and enjoyable dance.

One of the National Honor Society Advisors, Mrs. Frisch, states that the money earned from ticket sales goes out to ¨support the costs associated with NHS including the National Membership Dues, Pins for each member, Special Tassels and cords for graduation, Graduation Stoles, Cleaning of Stoles, Certificates, and The NHS Scholarship.  Any additional money gets put toward the year-end party and NHS trip.¨ This end-of-year party is to celebrate the student’s hard work throughout the school year. Though many students could look at this dance and see how only National Honor Society members benefit from it, the students not involved in the club could take advantage of this dance and have a good time with their friends before graduating in the future. Students should take part in this dance not only because of the help it could provide to the National Honor Society, but the enjoyment it could give to their high school years. As many adults say ¨high school flies by” so why not make the most of it and attend the National Honor Society winter dance? You never know you may have fun!